Mold is an extremely versatile and prolific organism. Because of its molecular structure, it can grow almost anywhere inside your home (providing it has access to low-light conditions, moisture, and a food source.) That includes behind and inside walls, under roofing shingles, behind shelves, inside window seats, and so forth.
Because mold reproduces so effectively (and plays such an important part in our ecosystem) there’s probably mold somewhere on your property. That’s the simple reality of owning almost any type of building. Though, that fact isn’t necessarily cause for panic. You see, household mold could be nothing more than a bit of grime around your kitchen sink. Those daily occurrences are easily addressed, too, with proper cleaning and prevention. However, bigger issues such as leaking pipes or sweating walls can create significant mold problems over time, which may require more thorough remediation.
At its worst, mold can damage structures and make you ill. So, there’s not doubt that if you see mold – you need to do something about it. Of course, the extent of the cleanup will depend on many independent factors. If you aren’t sure what to do next, you can call a mold remediation specialist in your area, or feel free to visit our blogs for more information. And of course, AEI Decon is happy to assist with any of your mold removal projects.
But what about low access or restricted areas, or parts of your home you can’t monitor or see well? All too often, that is just the sort of environment where mold thrives, going unnoticed as it eats away at the structures of your home.
When Mold Isn’t Visible –
How Do You Know If You Have a Mold Problem?
- First, use your nose. Mold has a distinctive musty odor that is easy to recognize. If you enter an area of your home or business and are consistently smelling something like wet old socks, there’s a chance it’s mold. Though, generally speaking, you’ll need to do a bit more investigation than simply smelling the air.
- Next, pay attention to your body. There are also several physical symptoms associated with mold. That may include a rash, eye irritation, headaches, and developing asthma. Keep in mind that methamphetamine contamination can cause similar issues, so be sure to consult with a Certified Decontamination Specialist about your specific circumstances. And, of course, be sure to check with your doctor any time you notice physical ailments, even those which may be tied to your home.
- Finally, you may want to have your home tested for mold. (Remember that early detection can help you avoid any costly repairs and prevent the mold from spreading.)
Naturally, we can’t summarize every household’s best course of action in a single article. However, if you suspect you have a mold problem, we recommend you start with a thorough visual search – checking regularly for any moisture or problem areas where mold might grow and thrive. At that point, depending on your findings, it may be wise to seek out the help of a mold specialist in your area.
For those in Utah, AEI Decon is happy to provide you with a free consultation. We frequently inspect homes for mold, meth, and other contaminants – and we provide the best in decontamination services. Call us today with any questions (801) 888-6698.